It’s apple season around here which means, for many of us, the kick-off of the fall season.
20 Delicious Facts About Apples
1. Apples are grown in all 50 states.
2. Apples are fat, sodium, and cholesterol free.
3. Apples are a great source of the fiber pectin. One apple has five grams of fiber (mostly in the skin).
4. A medium apple is about 80 calories.
5. Apples are a member of the rose family.
6. Red Delicious apples are the most widely grown in the United States with around 62 million bushels harvested per year. They are sweet, crisp, juicy, low-acid apple is tasty when eaten raw but, not always a good choice for cooking and baking with.
7. Apple trees take four to five years to produce their first fruit.
8. The crabapple is the only apple native to North America.
9. There are around 2,500 varieties of apples are grown in the United States.
10. Despite all of the modern technological advances, most apples are still picked by hand.
11. Apple trees can grow to be over 40 feet high and live over 100 years.
12. Apples are the second most valuable fruit grown in the United States, second to the orange.
13. The world’s top apple producers are China, United States, Turkey, Poland and Italy.
14. Despite what you might have heard, one of George Washington’s hobbies was pruning his apple trees.
11. A peck of apples weight 10.5 pounds.
12. A bushel of apples weights about 42 pounds.
13. An apple peel contains 2/3rds of the apple’s fiber and antioxidants.
14. An apple can ripen six to ten times faster at room temperature than in the refrigerator.
15. It takes about 36 apples to create one gallon of apple cider.
16. “An apple a day, keeps the doctor away.” comes from an old English adage, “To eat an apple before going to bed, will make the doctor beg his bread.”
17. The top apple producing states are Washington, New York, Michigan,Pennsylvania, California and Virginia.
18. Over half of the apples produced in the United States are from Washington state.
19. American’s are said to eat around 20 pounds of apples each per year.
20. Almost one out of every four apples harvested in the United States is exported.
Related Posts Just for You