I must admit that there was time when I would not miss a burger made from beef.
These days I am all about the portobello mushroom burger.
Grilled Portobello Mushroom Burgers
First of all, grilled portobello mushrooms are not just for vegans.
A grilled portobello mushroom burger can be enjoyed by anyone. Vegetarians, low carb folks, and people on a diet enjoy this beef-less burger. Serve this tasty burger without the bun for a gluten-free feel.
The trick to serving the grilled portobello mushroom as a burger is to treat it just like you would treat a regular hamburger.
Serve it on a bun or a roll or alone. Top this portobello mushroom burger with your favorite condiments. Melt cheese on it and you will have something special that will also impress others.
The truth is, the The grilled portobello burger is a tasty alternative to the regular beef burger. It is quite easy to make as well.
Portobello mushrooms are a larger mushroom that is quite filling.
[bctt tweet=”How to Grill Portobello Mushrooms!” username=”poshonabudget”]
I will sometimes slice my portobello mushroom and add it to spaghetti sauce. I also like to grill my portobello mushrooms and make a burger out of them. I am always impressed with just how filling the portobello mushroom actually is and how well it can be substituted into a recipe that calls for beef.
I find it essential to start off by cleaning your portobello mushroom.
I use a paper towel to wipe off the dirt from the top. Some people will rinse their portobello mushrooms under running water. Since the mushroom is more porous than many other vegetables, I prefer to just wipe down the cap.Then, hold on to the cap and gently pull off the stem.Flip the mushroom over and scoop out the ‘gills’, using a spoon.
How to grill a portobello mushroom
What you will need to do this.
- Portobello Mushrooms- 4 caps cleaned and without stems (see above)
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil (can use other oil if desired)
- Seasonings to taste- salt, pepper, oregano, etc
- Roasted Red Peppers- enough for each burger
- Blue or other Cheese- enough for each burger (about 1/2-3/4 cup total)
- Bun if desired.
- Lettuce or similar green
How to grill your mushroom.
- Place the mushrooms in a dish with the cap side up. Brush each portobello mushroom cap with oil and then top with desired seasonings.Allow to sit for at least 20 minutes.
- Prep for nonstick and preheat your grill to a medium heat, or use an area of a larger grill that is not directly over the heat.
- Grill each side of the mushroom for 6-8 minutes, adding more of your olive oil and seasoning each time you flip.
- Serve on a bun with lettuce, if desired, and top with cheese and peppers. You can also add the cheese to the mushroom as it grills to get melted cheese.
Related Posts Just for You