One of my favorite beverages to drink this time of the year has always been the Shamrock shake from McDonald’s.
I thought that I would learn how to make one at home.
Copycat McDonalds Shamrock Shake- A Healthier Version
As a kid, I always looked forward to running to McDonald’s for one of those green milk shakes that they would have during the St Patrick’s Day season.
I would get so upset when McDonald’s would run out of their Shamrock Shakes and I could not get one in time.
As an adult, I still love those Shamrock Shakes.
Unfortunately, I have also had to become more concerned about what goes into my body. Sugar would be the biggest concern for me. As I have aged, I have become increasingly sensitive to what sugar does to my body. My dentist has had a few words about sugar as well.
Taking into consideration that I still want to enjoy a shamrock style milk shake, and that I must also make it a bit healthier for me, I have found a shamrock style milk shake that can work for me. I love that this shamrock style milk shake is also easy to make!
The Recipe for Copycat McDonalds Shamrock Shake- A Healthier Version
- 1 1/2 cups- Vanilla Ice Cream- preferably low fat. Optionally, frozen yogurt- I use Greek Yogurt that I have placed in the freezer for 2 hours (any longer will not freeze well)
- 1/2 Cup- Milk- original recipe would be whole milk, I’m a skim milk person.
- 5-6 Drops- Green food coloring. Don’t want your shake to be green? Simply omit this.
- 1/4-1/2 teaspoon- Mint Extract- amount to add as per your taste
- Optional Items Chocolate syrup topping, whipped cream, sprinkles etc.
Prep time: Cook time: Total time: Yield: 1-2 servings depending on glass size
Peppermint/mint extract can be hard to find at your local store.
I have found many different kinds of Peppermint/mint extract on Amazon.com.